27 June 2022
Work on a building project that will transform education for pupils with additional learning needs in Powys will begin next month, the county council has announced.
Powys County Council and its contractor Wynne Construction will start to build the new replacement building for Ysgol Cedewain in Newtown in July.
The project can now proceed after the Welsh Government, who will fund 75% of the project costs under its Sustainable Communities for Learning Programme, approved the council’s Full Business Case. The remaining 25% will be funded by the council.
The new build will replace very poor accommodation at the current Ysgol Cedewain school, and will include facilities for very vulnerable learners, including a hydrotherapy pool, sensory and physiotherapy rooms and garden as well as a community café.
It will enable staff to teach in a learning environment that is fit-for-purpose, and for parents to have the confidence that their children are being supported within the best facilities and accommodation.
Cllr Pete Roberts, Cabinet Member for a Learning Powys, said: “I’m extremely pleased that work to build a new replacement school for Ysgol Cedewain will begin shortly. This project will see the council provide a world-class facility for the county’s most vulnerable learners.
“I would like to thank the Welsh Government for their approval, which will allow the council to provide an environment where teaching staff and thrive and give vulnerable learners the facilities that meets their needs, they benefit from and enables them to enjoy learning.”
Jeremy Miles, Minister for Education and Welsh Language, said: “We want to help provide children and young people across Wales with the best learning environments which will enable all our learners to thrive. I’m really pleased that, through our Sustainable Communities for Learning Programme, we’re able to support this exciting new project at Ysgol Cedewain and I look forward to visiting once the new building is complete.”